Location: Cristian, Transylvania – Central Romania
Address: Cristian, Brasov county(map)
Nearest large town: Brasov (9 miles east)
Nearest train station: Brasov
One of the fortress towers was called the Bacon Tower. It initially served as a chapel, but later was used for food storage (especially bacon, hence the name). Villagers would fill the tower's cellar with ice, keeping supplies cool throughout the summer. To keep heat out, entry to the tower was only allowed on Sundays.
The gothic-style Evangelical Church (1495) in the village of Cristian stands on the site of a 13th century Roman basilica. Built in the 16th century, the church is enclosed by two rows of walls guarded by towers. Two underground tunnels allowed villagers to flee from the fortress to the forest or to an old monastery in times of siege.
Main Image Source: www.sibiu-turism.ro