The Small Square
Old Town Sibiu – Transylvania
Casa Luxemburg was built at the beginning
of the 15th Century and seats on the first
fortifications of Sibiu ("Villa Hermani").
Two older Saxon houses, one facing the
Small Square and the other the Huet Square
were combined to form a larger building.
A third floor was added in early 1800s.
In the nineteenth century the building
was bought by Johann Georg Schaser,
an Evangelical priest and until 2004 the
house was known as the Casa Rosie
(Red House) or Casa Schaser.
Between 1999 and 2003, the building was
restored with funds offered by Romania’s
Ministry of Culture and the Bureau for
National Monuments of the
Great Duchy of Luxembourg.
Casa Luxemburg features an interesting
mix of well-balanced Classical, Baroque and
Rococo architecture. Original elements that
have been restored include the Gothic
wooden door, the impressive wooden
staircase, and the second floor's wooden
ceiling bearing the Taylors' Guild Seal (1597).
Beautiful stucco floral motifs adorn
Casa Luxemburg's colorful façade.
In 2007 the Romanian Postal Service issued
astamp sheet featuring Casa Luxemburg.
Private bathroom with bathtub or shower,
hair dryer, free Internet, cable TV, mini-bar,
coffee/ tea maker.
Breakfast room, restaurant, bar,
art exhibit space.
Tourist information, guided tours, car rental,
bicycle rental, Souvenir shop.
The Great Square, Brukenthal Museum,
History Museum, The Council Tower,
Evangelical Cathedral, Liars’ Bridge,
The Orthodox Cathedral,
ASTRA National Museum (5 miles S),
Cisnadioara Fortified Church (8 miles S SW),
Ocna Sibiului medical spa (11 miles N NW),
Paltinis ski town (19 miles NW),
The Transfăgăraşan scenic road over
the Carpathian Mountains (35 miles E).
Address: Piata Mica 16
Sibiu - Romania