Location: Central Romania
Size: 3.7 sq. miles (9.7 sq. kilometers)
Elevation: 710 - 790 ft. (222 - 247 meters)
First documented: 1322
Named literally for a 'market' on the Mures River and known as the city of roses, Targu Mures (Marosvásárhely in Hungarian ~ Neumarkt am Mieresch in German) enjoys the best of both Romanian and Hungarian cultures. Numerous vestiges attest the presence of Neolithic cultures and those of the Bronze and Metal Ages in this area. Archaeological diggings have brought to light Roman relics in the surrounding towns.
The town was first documented as 'Novum Forum Sicolorum' (The New Market of the Seklars) in 1322. Beginning with the 16th century, Targu Mures excels as an important cultural and education centre. The first school appears in 1492. In 1786, the first printing shop is established and in 1802 count Teleki Samuel, chancellor of Transylvania, lays the foundations of the documentary library that bears his name to this day. The city received a major boost to its social and economic life in 1754 when it became the seat of the supreme court of justice of the Principality of Transylvania.
During medieval times, guilds, made up of groups of craftsmen, played an important role in the evolution of the town. Artisan guilds had their privileges recognized since 1493. In 1620, members of the guilds took part in the building of the town fortress. Two of the most important guilds were the shoemakers and tanners ones. In 1800, the shoemakers' guild had the most members, namely 254. The guild system lasted until 1872.
Targu Mures became a modern town in the second half of the 19th century, along with the expansion of the railway line. Today its centrally located Piata Trandafirilor (Roses Square) is lined with modern streetside cafes and restaurants, churches, and monuments. Targu Mures' top attraction is located at the south end of the square: the Culture Palace (Palatul Culturii), a flamboyant early 20th-century city hall with an outstanding stained-glass hall, housing some of main local museums.
Apollo Palace was built between 1820 and 1822 at the initiative of count Teleki Sámue.
The building was initially decorated in the late Baroque style and had only two stories.
The façade was modified in early 1900s, the only remaining Baroque elements are the reinforced vaults with double arcs.
The ground floor was used for retail activities while the first floor was used as living quarters.
On the second floor there was a large meeting hall, a restaurant and a café.
At the beginning of the 20th century the palace served as a venue for numerous shows and events. In 1923 Apollo Palace was sold to a new owner who decided to transform the balroom into apartments (1925 - 1927).
The façade was also remodeled at that time in an eclectic style specific to the early 20th century.
Today Apollo Palace is home to the local Art School.
The former seat of the Prefecture has been in use since 1711.
After its owner was condemned for treason, the house was confiscated and became the property of the County (Mures County).
Construction works to expand the building started in 1744 under the supervision of judge Dóza Mihai.
The neighboring plots of land were bought during the 19th century so that the construction could be further expanded.
The lateral wings were erected between 1824 and 1838, and the back wing between 1842 and 1843.
The ground floor served throughout the years as a prison and on the top floor as an assembly hall.
Currently, these spaces are used as workshops by the artists of Targu Mures.
The first elements of Baroque architecture appeared, in Targu Mures, in the second half of the 17th century.
The Pálffy House, built around 1640, reflects an evolutionary stage that surpasses typical Renaissance architectural elements such as those of the oldest buildings of Targu Mures, the Köpeczi and Nagy Szabó houses.
The edifice was built by judge Tolnai János and sold to the Pálffy family in 1885, hence the name by which the building is known today.
The building was renovated in 2006 and today it hosts the newly established Music School of the University of Theatrical Arts of Targu Mures.
The current headquarters of Mures County Council (also known as the former City Hall building),
The Perfecture building is part, together with the Culture Palace, of a spectacular secessionist ensemble built at the beginning of the 20th century.
It was the first building out of a series meant to change the appearance of the new city center.
The building was erected between 1907 and 1908 under the supervision of architects Komor Marcel and Jakob Dezsö, the founders of a distinctive Art Nouveau trend in Transylvania.
The palace is remarkable for its 192 feet high spire, built originally as a watchtower of the town, placed asymmetrically and covered - like the rest of the building - with colorful Majolica tin glazed pottery.
The impressive entrance hall- in the style of the Knights' Hall at Corvin Castle in Hunedoara – is decorated with huge stained glass windows.
The oldest Orthodox Church in Targu Mures
harmoniously combines Romanian rural architectural style with Baroque influences.
The church was built between 1793 and 1794 with the help of trader Hagi Stoian Constandin, who bought and donated the land, obtained all needed building permits and personally financed the works.
Orthodox and Greek-Catholics found themselves in need of building separate places of worship. Thus, two churches were built in the same period, right next to each other.
The Teleki Library, founded at the end of the 18th century by Sámuel Teleki, chancellor of Transylvania,
contains a large collection of first editions and important manuscripts documenting Transylvanian history,
as well as mathematical and scientific works. Count Sámuel Teleki,
closely connected to the Mures area through his origins and the fact that he spent part of his life at his personal residence in Dumbravioara
(a village only a few kilometers outside of Targu Mures),
had established here the first city library by making his 40,000 books – some of which were unique editions
published by famous European printing houses – available to the public.
More important collections were added in time, amounting to over 250,000 tomes today.
In 1492 Prince Stefan Bathory ordered for a castle-fortress to be erected around the Franciscan monastery and church.
A few of the original elements have been preserved, among them wall fragments on the Southern and Western sides,
the tower on the Southern wing, attached to the furriers' bastion, and ruins of the South-Western tower, included nowadays in the tanners' bastion.
The structure of these towers and the fact that they are square-shaped are indicative of a medieval type military architecture.
Six bastions were added during the reign of Gabriel Bethlen (1613 – 1629). The furriers' bastion, erected in 1628, was divided into four levels, the vast interior space allowing for several craftsmen's guilds to function here. In addition to the furriers' guild after which the bastion was named, the locksmiths' and goldsmiths' guilds also had their headquarters here. Each bastion has firing holes for cannons on lower levels and for hand-held weapons in the walls of the first and second floors. The erection of surrounding curtain walls took until the second half of the 17th century. The inside of the walls are provided with archways supported by posts that sustain the guard path that is on the same level as the firing holes. There may have been defense ditches on the outside which were covered in time as they were not used. The fact that Transylvania lost its status of autonomous principality and became part of the Hapsburg Empire entailed a series of changes in what concerns military architecture. Modern, Vauban type fortresses were built in many Transylvanian towns such as Alba-Iulia, Oradea, Timisoara. The political changes in the principality were not without consequence to the fortress of Targu Mures. The houses inside the fortress were demolished to make place for the military headquarters and bakery. Following the restorations of 1962 – 1965, the walls and bastions reclaimed their initial form.
Reghin, straddling both shores of the Mures River, is renowned for the craftsmanship of the town's violin makers.
The town dates back to 1218, when the Saxons built a settlement on the ruins of a Dacian fortress. The town's central square, Piata Petru Maior, is lined with 19th and early 20th-century buildings, featuring wrought-iron balconies and colorful facades.
An important salt-mining town, Turda was the seat of the Transylvanian Diet during the 16th century and hence, one of the wealthiest towns in the region. Walk along streets lined with grand stone houses and some well-preserved baroque facades.
The town's Calvinist church and the Roman Catholic Church, both dating from the 1400s, are fine examples of Gothic architectural style.
Turda Salt Mine more information: www.SalinaTurda.eu
Turda Mine Wine Cellars more information: www.CramaLaSalina.ro
Address: Route 15/E60 Targu Mures – Ludus, Vidrasau
Telephone: 0265 328.259 or 263.050
Targu Mures airport is located in Vidrasau, about 9 miles southwest of the city centre. A shuttle bus runs from the airport to downtown Targu Mures. Taxis are also available outside of the arrivals hall.
Targu Mures - main train station (Gara Targu Mures)
Address: Piata Garii , Targu Mures
Telephone: 0265 236.284
There are daily direct trains from/ to Targu Mures to/ from:
Cluj Napoca (2 hours and 30 minutes)
Hungary (Budapest) (travel time – 9 hours).
To check train schedules and fares for domestic an international routes
please visit transportation section
Address: Piata Teatrului 1
Telphone: 0265 266.200
Open: Mon. - Fri. 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Targu Mures Bus Stations(Autogara)
Daily bus service from/to: Bucuresti, Bicaz, Brasov, Campia Turzii, Cluj Napoca, Constanta, Iasi, Lacu Rosu, Ludus, Oradea, Piatra Neamt, Reghin, Satu Mare, Sighisoara, Sinaia, Targu Neamt, Turda.
The fastest route from Bucharest to Targu Mures is:
Bucharest – Ploiesti– Sinaia – Brasov – Sighisoara – Targu Mures (E60)
|City||Distance Miles / Km|
|Bucharest>||214 mi / 343 km|
|Arad||225 mi / 375 km|
|Baia Mare||129 mi / 207 km|
|Brasov||108 mi / 173 km|
|Budapest (Hungary)||372 mi / 526 km|
|Cluj Napoca||67 mi / 107 km|
|Constanta||349 mi / 561 km|
|Iasi||193 mi / 311 km|
|Oradea||162 mi / 260 km|
|Satu Mare||151 mi / 243 km|
|Sibiu||82 mi / 132 km|
|Sighetu Marmatiei||139 mi / 223 km|
|Sighisoara||27 mi / 44 km|
|Suceava||176 mi / 283 km|
|Timisoara||236 mi / 379 km|
|Tulcea||311 mi / 501 km|
|Vienna (Austria)||475 mi / 763 km|
Central Targu Mures is small enough to cover by foot. Bus #18 takes you from Piata Teatrului and Piata Trandafirilor to the bus station; bus #5 goes to the train station. The cost of a one-way ticket is approximately 50 cents.
Bravo - 0265 204.944
Cornisa - 0265 204.943
Cristi - 0265 204.949
Pluto - 0265 313.131
Relexa - 0265 204.946
Royal - 0265 204.942
Transaldea - 0265 204.941
Trans-Sil - 0265 204.948
Tranzit - 0265 204.947
Venus - 0265 204.940
Viva - 0265 204.945
For a list of available accommodations in Targu Mures
please check our Accommodations Guide.
Address: Str. Enescu 2 (on the corner of the Palace of Culture building)
Telephone / Fax: 0365 404.934
Open: Mon. – Sat. 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.; Closed Sun
The Tourist Information Centre provides maps, brochures and information on accommodations, restaurants and transportation.
Targu Mures County Archives (Directia Judeteana a Arhivelor Nationale Mures)
Address: Str. Crizantemelor 8, Targu Mures 540073
Telephone/ Fax: 0265 235.064
Address: Str. Revolutiei 2/A
TelePhone: 0265 213.386
Post offices display a postal horn symbol and the word Posta.
Telephoning Targu Mures from Abroad
International Access Code (011 for US)
+ 40 (country code)
+ 265 or 365 (area code)
+ telephone number (six digit number)
- Targu Mures City Map (Harta Orasului Targu-Mures)
- Romania Physical Map (Romania - Harta Fizica)
- Romania Detailed Road Map (Romania - Harta Detaliata)
- Romania Road Map (Romania - Harta Drumurilor, Sosele)
- Romania Rail Map (Romania - Harta Cailor Ferate)